SLS Peer Mentor
What is a Peer Mentor?
- A Peer Mentor is a current and/or future FIU student leader who assists the Student Life Skills (SLS) instructor throughout the length of the course
- A Peer Mentor is utilized as a great resource for the students and many times lead several discussions on specific topics throughout the SLS course
- Lead group activities in order to create that bond and relationship within the students in the SLS course
- A student who is able to help guide the students throughout their first semester in college by explaining their personal experiences as a freshman
What do we look for in a Peer Mentor?
- Someone who is responsible and takes the initiative to help others
- A role model to their fellow peers
- A student who is energetic and shows pride in FIU
- One who has a positive attitude is helpful inside and outside of the classroom
Responsibilities as a Peer Mentor:
- Attend Peer Mentor Training
- Meet and get to know their professor they are assisting once they are assigned
- Attend all of their assigned SLS classes
- Come up with creative icebreakers and team builders to have the class interact with each other
- Co-facilitate discussions and activities with their instructor
- Be positive and have fun with our new Panthers!
- Current undergraduate student
- Completed one year or more at FIU
- 2.5 GPA or above